VMware vMotion requirements
Here you will find out:
- what are vMotion requirements
- what requirements need for VM and host
- how DiskInternals can help you
Are you ready? Let's read!
Introduction into vMotion requirements
If you are performing a vMotion migration, you must be aware of the requirements for doing so. VM and host requirements must always be met. vMotion is used to distribute the load between VMs while using DPM(Distributed power management), as well as for equipment maintenance.
Checklist for VMs
These are the most basic of the requirements:
- If the VM operates with RDM, access to it must be provided for the ESXi host.
- The virtual machine must be connected exclusively to one ESXi host. Any other connections should be prevented.
- The VM should contain all the settings and disk files in the data store, accessible from both ESXi hosts.
- The VM should not have a connection to the internal standard switch and configured binding to the processor.
- The matching rule does not need to be configured.
- If EVC is used then CPU should be checked for compatibility.
Checklist for hosts
The host also has its own requirements and restrictions, which also must be followed:
- A VMkernel port and a Gigabit Ethernet network card are required.
- All data must be stored in shared storage.
- All port groups that the virtual machine is connected to must exist on both ESXi hosts and have the same name.
- The choice of processors should also be considered carefully; their compatibility is fundamental (that is, they should have the same manufacturer, type, and functions).
- You must have all the necessary licenses for the normal functioning of basic and extra functions.
VMFS Recovery: what you need if you have a VM
There are situations when a VM crashes or important files were lost on it for some reason. In this case, you need to restore VMFS or read and restore VMDK files, as well as restore your data - DiskInternals VMFS Recovery will do it for you. Leading experts have trusted this utility for more than 15 years since there is no better professional, high-quality software. It also supports Unicode file names and multi-level folders.
This utility has the ability to recover files not only from serviceable disks in VMFS format but also from hopelessly damaged file systems.
When you see the stunning results, you will have no doubt about purchasing a license and keep this application with you at least as long as you have a VM.
First, download the software, and then install it on your Windows computer and launch it.
Connect via SSH if necessary. If there is no such need, skip this step.
Next, open the local drive (or SSH).
After the scanning procedure, find the files you need and mount the VMDK file, then open it with the left mouse button.
In a new window, view the files to check their integrity. It is completely free.
The final step is to export the recovered files after buying a license. Export selected files to a convenient location.