Looking for partition recovery software? This 16 programms won't let you down!
In this article you will find out:
Are you ready? Let's read!
What Is partition recovery software
Put simply, Partition Recovery software is a PC program that helps computer users to recover lost partitions on their hard disk drives. In other words, it is a data recovery tool that specifically recovers lost and deleted data from different types of PC storage drives.
Most PC users create different partitions to save different data and information; these partitions may be mistakenly deleted due to user operation, malware, and other possible causes. Actually, every partition recovery software uses specific algorithms for recovery, and hereunder are the best programs to choose from.
How we selected the best partition recovery software for 2021
When choosing a partition recovery software, there are pretty many factors you need to consider. Well, we have analyzed those factors and mentioned them below.
No one would want to spend a few bucks on a software that doesn't work. So, performance is one of the factors to consider when selecting a new partition recovery program. Prior questions to ask are, "Does this program really work for the purpose?" and "How fast is the recovery process?" The best way to find the answer to that question is by reading users' reviews.
From the user interface to the recovery process, the best partition recovery software should be intuitive and straightforward to use. Interestingly, most of the programs reviewed below feature a super-intuitive interface, and they are easy to use.
Another factor you may want to consider is the support operating systems the program runs on. While some of the best partition recovery programs only run on Windows OS, there are some others that are available across OSes, including macOS, Linux, and Android.
Price and License
What are the available plans/packages you could purchase to enjoy the full features of the program? Is the subscription a “one time” payment for lifetime access, or you'd need to renew for each new version? Also, is there a free version of the program? These questions are important.
Yes, how many recovery modes are supported by the software? Can it recover partitions that got lost due to several scenarios such as accidental deletion, malware attack, power surge, etc.?
It is important to note the technical specifications of a software tool because that's what determines if the software would run on your system or not. Technical specifications include information about supported OS versions, required RAM/ROM space, recommended CPU/GPU, and more.
Don't joke with users' reviews because that's where you get to know exactly how good, or how bad a software program is. Some places to find real user reviews include TrustPilot, G2, AlternativeTo, and Reddit.
Top 16 Best Partition Recovery Software For Windows, Mac, and Linux in 2021
Now the list; hereunder is a detailed, concise review of the best partition recovery software programs for PC users.
1. DiskInternals Partition Recovery
DiskInternals Partition Recovery is practically the best professional partition recovery tool you can use on Windows computers. It is super intuitive, fast, and supports numerous file system formats. This partition recovery software is developed for basic users with no IT knowledge and professionals.
With this software program, you can recover lost or deleted partitions from various disks, including HDD, SDD, flash drives, and many others. Partition Recovery goes for a considerable price and it supports all known file systems (NTFS, EXT, FAT32, ReFS, etc.).
- Supports 3 unique scanning mode
- Compatible with all known Windows file system format
- Recovers all files saved in the deleted partition
- Super-intuitive and clean interface
- Built-in Recovery Wizard
- It only runs on Windows PCs. If you need recovering data from a drive formatted by the other Operating System, you need to attach the drive to a Windows PC.
One impressive thing about DiskInternals Partition Recovery is the interface. It looks so much like the native File Explorer interface; thus, anyone who can operate a computer system can use the program without facing issues. Also, it can recover partitions lost on solid-state drives (SSDs), and various other types of external storage.
2. Recoverit Data Recovery
Developed by WonderShare, Recoverit Data Recovery also functions as a partition recovery solution. It can recover lost partitions from different types of hard drives. It can also support file previewing before actual recovery. Recoverit has a clean interface anyone could easily understand, and it packs a bunch of handy tools.
- Simple to understand interface
- Recovers various types of files
- Recovers lost and deleted partitions from a wide range of hard drives
- Available for Windows and macOS
- The free version is well limited
Recoverit is an intuitive program that anyone can use; with the clear-cut interface and well-arranged tools, even a non-IT person can use this program to recover files. It supports flash drives, HDDs, SSDs, and other types of external drives.
3. TestDisk (Windows, Mac, Linux, and More)
Now, here’s a program that runs across platforms Windows, macOS, and Linux. Asides from running on various systems, TestDisk is also an open-source program, which means it is completely free to use on all the supported OSes.
With TestDisk, there are several tools you would leverage to manage or recover your partitions. This particular program supports all known file system formats, including rare file systems like GFS2, BeFS, CramFS, and FATX.
- Available across OSes (Windows, macOS, and Linux)
- Recover/Rebuild FAT32/NTFS boot sector from its backup
- Fix MFT using MFT mirror
- Undelete files from FAT, exFAT, NTFS, and ext2 file system
- Copy files from deleted partitions
- The user interface is not so intuitive; it’s complicated for non-IT PC users
- The last stable version was updated in 2019
Not everyone can use this partition recovery software easily because of its CLI-based interface. Also, it has been long updated - the last stable update was in 2019.
4. Orion File Recovery Software
A free partition recovery program for PC users, Orion File Recovery is one of the best to use, and you don’t have to pay for a PRO version. The Orion File Recovery program is developed for Windows PC users, and the interface is effortless to understand.
This program is developed by NCH Software has restricted free version is for home use only. If you need to use it for commercial purposes, you have to purchase the pro version. Interestingly, this program can help you to recover lost files from your Windows PC.
- Allows you to scan lost partitions for lost files
- Includes a built-in Recovery Wizard
- You can filter search results
- Supports both FAT and NTFS file systems
- Only available for Windows OS
- It has limited file system support.
Anyone using this program needs to be cautious because it includes advanced features that can erase files/partitions permanently. Notwithstanding, the interface is pretty easy to navigate, and it works well for recovering lost/deleted files and partitions.
5. Lazesoft Recovery Suite
Developed for Windows OS, this file recovery software, which also doubles as a partition recovery software is one of the best to use. Lazesoft Recovery Suite is a program that has a free version and a professional (licensed) version. It works for recovering various types of files and partitions.
However, it cannot recover files or partitions that have been overwritten already. Interestingly, the program can recover files from inaccessible disks, unreadable partitions, flash memory, SD card, and USB flash drives.
- The interface is easy to use
- Fix Windows boot problems
- Works fast and recovers various file types
- Only runs on Windows 7, 8, and 10
- Limited features
This recovery software can get back files that were lost due to different data loss scenarios. It is fast and runs smoothly on Windows 7/8/10.
6. Acronis Disk Director Home (Windows)
Acronis Disk Director Home is more than just a software for recovering lost partitions, it is a comprehensive partition management suite with many tools you can use. The program is compatible with known file systems, including Reiser 3 and Linux swap.
With this program, you can recover, clone, and manipulate disks on a Windows OS computer. The interface is clean and intuitive, so anyone can easily navigate and use the available tools.
- Supports disk partition management.
- Integrates several other intuitive and handy tools for partition recovery and management.
- Can create bootable media
- Only supports Windows OS
- The PRO version price is quite high.
This is a software suite for disk and partition management. It can recover files and partitions, and the interface is simply intuitive. This program can also be used to manipulate partitions and create bootable disks.
7. MiniTool Partition Wizard (Windows)
The MiniTool Partition Wizard is a super-handy program that can recover lost and deleted partitions from various types of disks. Its interface is one of the best you'd find on a partition recovery tool, and it supports pretty many file systems. This program is designed for Windows OS, and it is effective for the purpose.
More so, you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard to create bootable media, and you can manage raw sections too. The free version allows you to perform a bunch of tasks, and you can handle Linux partitions with the program, too.
- Compatible with Windows and Linux OS
- The toolbar provides additional useful tools for data recovery
- Supports multiple storage drives, including Dynamic disk and Hardware RAID
- You need to buy the PRO version to complete a recovery process
- Does not support all required file systems
The MiniTool Partition Wizard software has a clear-cut interface that anyone can easily understand. It is packed with a ton of useful tools, and it is fast in scanning for lost/deleted files.
8. Active Partition Recovery
Here's a pretty intuitive partition recovery software that runs on Windows OS. It supports different scanning modes and can recover lost partitions from different disks. Active Partition Recovery is developed for Windows, WinPE, Linux, and DOS.
There is a restricted free version for Windows OS users; however, if you want to explore the entire features of the program, you need to get the premium version. More interestingly, this program supports Unicode and long file names.
- Three unique recovery modes: QuickScan, SuperScan, and Last Chance
- Supports multi-language characters (Unicode) and long file names
- simple-to-understand interface
- There is no macOS version
There are many actions you can perform with this program; it is intuitive and supports a ton of handy tools for partition management and recovery.
9. Disk Drill Partition Recovery (Windows & Mac)
The Disk Drill software is inarguably one of the leading partition recovery software programs available across platforms. You can run the program on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems. Disk Drill Partition Recovery supports the main file systems formats, and it allows for comprehensive file recovery.
- Comes with a modern user interface that is easy to use
- One of the best partition recovery programs across platforms
- Supports all commonly used Windows, Mac, and Linux file systems
- RAW partition recovery
- Does not feature a built-in partition manager
- The free version is well limited
You need the PRO version to access all the core functions of this software. Notwithstanding, it is intuitive and supports different hard drives.
10. Partition Find Mount
This program is developed to run partition recovery with a different approach. It works in the most convenient way possible; what it does is to locate and mount partitions into the system, so you can access the lost partitions as generic disk volumes.
You can also use this program when your Boot Records (Master Boot Record) are missing or overwritten. Partition Find & Mount runs with an intuitive interface and it supports the most common file system types.
- Easy to use interface
- Fix Master Boot Record files
- Restricted free version for personal use
- Only available for Windows OS.
- Limited file system support
Partition Find & Mount would work for the most basic partition recovery need. The interface isn’t complex, so every user can easily discover how to use the program.
11. Hetman Partition Recovery (Windows)
How about a partition recovery program with a built-in Wizard to help you all the steps all the way? Just like the DiskInternals software, Hetman Partition Recovery comes with an intuitive Wizard that helps you to perform partition recovery in the simplest manner.
This program can recover data from Windows partitions and virtual machine disks. It supports all commonly used file systems and runs on 32/64-bit systems of Windows OS.
- Supports 32-bit and 64-bit installations
- Recovers data from virtual machine disks
- A portable version is available
- Does not integrate a partition manager
- Only available for Windows OS
The user interface is clean and intuitive, and you can preview certain files before final recovery. Hetman Partition Recovery is meant for Windows OS, but it can read and recover Linux and macOS partitions.
12. EaseUS Partition Recovery 9
EaseUS Partition Recovery is available for Windows computers, and the interface is intuitive. It works excellently for recovering partitions that were lost from different types of disks. More so, this tool is able to recover files from data loss due to different scenarios: virus attack, accidental deletion, sudden crash, unexpected power off, etc.
- Supports various file systems
- Supports different scan modes
- Only works on Windows computers
EaseUS Partition Recovery is partition recovery software that is easy to use. It also supports various file systems, including macOS and Linux file systems.
13. Stellar Data Recovery
Stellar Partition Recovery can recover data from all partitions, including deleted and inaccessible ones. It is a comprehensive, full-suite partition recovery software packed with many features. This program is developed for Windows OS and macOS computers. The recovery process is fast and straightforward.
- Super-intuitive user interface
- Three-step, quick data recovery process
- Supports popular file systems
- The Windows version supports more file systems than the macOS version
The recovery results are acceptable, and it is fast, too. Stellar Data Recovery is considerable for data/partition recovery.
Somehow, the DiskGenius software seems to be meant for IT professionals, but the interface isn't too complicated, so even a regular PC operator can navigate easily and use the software. With the DiskGenius software, you can verify and repair bad sectors, recover deleted files, and backup/restore partition tables on Windows OS computers.
- Works for recovering and cloning hard drives and partitions
- Create WinPE bootable disk
- Create and format partitions
- The interface isn’t so user-friendly
- Only works on Windows OS
The main problem is the inconvenient user interface. But for IT professionals, this is going to be good solution for partition management and recovery in case of data loss.
This is not practically the best partition recovery software you can use. Although it can attempt recovering your lost files, the features are too limited and it does not natively support Windows, macOS, and Linux - you must get GParted Live if you want to run this program.
Why Do You Need a Partition Recovery Software?
Partitions help us to arrange the files saved in our hard drives on a computer. They are fragile and can be easily affected by quite too many scenarios, which includes sudden power outage, user errors, bad sectors, malware/virus, hardware problems, and more.
When a partition is damaged or lost, the files inside are lost too. A partition recovery program is important because it helps you to recover your lost/deleted partitions, along with the files and data saved inside. It is also important to carry out lost/deleted partition recovery quickly before the data gets overwritten with new entries.
What is the best partition recovery software?
The best partition recovery software should, first of all, do its best in its main task - data recovery. Apparently, a free software won't be able to perform full recovery successfully; thus, paid partition recovery programs are preferable.
However, the price you should pay for a premium partition recovery software should be reasonable, and you should enjoy other benefits such as data protection and 24/7 customer support.
Also, the best partition recovery software should have a simple, easy-to-navigate interface, as well as integrate a couple of other useful tools the user may need, such as partition management tools.
Interestingly, the DiskInternals Partition Recovery meets all these criteria, and it goes on to support file preview, as well as integrate a built-in recovery wizard for a seamless data recovery process.
Also, the free version of DiskInternals Partition Recovery can create disc images, and when you choose to upgrade, you’d be getting 24/7 premium customer support and assistance from experts.
Which partition recovery software will be relevant in 2022?
In 2022, PC users would drift to software programs that offer more simplicity, intuitiveness, and efficiency for the expected purpose. DiskInternals Partition Recovery is the best partition recovery program to choose in 2022, and hereunder are the reasons to back up this claim.
- Simplicity: It comes with a fully guided recovery wizard and interactive user interface.
- Efficiency: DiskInternals Partition Recovery can recover data and lost partitions from any hard drive, regardless of the file system.
- File Preview: You can preview the documents and files before attempting recovery.
- Security: This software is built with advanced algorithms that make data recovery extremely safe.
- Versatility: DiskInternals Partition Recovery can recover files from a wide range of devices, including USB sticks, smartphones, digital cameras, memory cards, and many others.
- Good Price: The PRO plans are offered at unbeatable prices and grant you access to premium support from data recovery experts.